Pages

Tuesday 13 May 2014

Kate Daniels Series #2:Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews


Published: April 2008 by Ace
Goodreads Summary: Down in Atlanta, tempers – and temperatures – are about to flare…



As a mercenary who cleans up after magic gone wrong, Kate Daniels has seen her share of occupational hazards. Normally, waves of paranormal energy ebb and flow across Atlanta like a tide. But once every seven years, a flare comes, a time when magic runs rampant. Now Kate’s going to have to deal with problems on a much bigger scale: a divine one.


When Kate sets out to retrieve a set of stolen maps for the Pack, Atlanta’s paramilitary clan of shapeshifters, she quickly realizes much more at stake. During a flare, gods and goddesses can manifest – and battle for power. The stolen maps are only the opening gambit in an epic tug-of-war between two gods hoping for rebirth. And if Kate can’t stop the cataclysmic showdown, the city may not survive…

-MY THOUGHTS-

Ok, I’ll be honest with you guys. I can’t truly remember Magic Burns and that’s where lays the problem with this book. 

Magic Burns wasn’t bad, not in any stretch of the mind, it was funny, witty, well crafted but it was kind of forgettable (in my opinion at least).

I won’t go too much into the plot, because I don’t have that much memory of it. But essentially, someone who can disappear, as in one moment he’s here and poof the next second he can reappear in a completely different place, stole a very important (can’t give a better description as my memory is very blurry) map from the Pack. In case of trouble, who’s to be called? Kate Daniels, of course *insert cheerful claps*!

The Pack’s map isn’t Kate’s sole trouble. She must also help a teenage girl named Julie to find her mother. And while our favourite heroine is busy locating whatever things or persons is missing, a flare, a magic hurricane is about to hit Atlanta. All of these things have a link with each other, but again I can’t give you more info about it because my memory is derailing.

There are a couple of new characters in this book. Even thought they didn’t all personally interest me, I think that they were important for the story’s development. They all had a part to play. There was Julie a street kid with an attitude and a major case of jack*ss boyfriend on her back.  I didn’t really care for her, but I enjoyed the mother-daughter relation she had with Kate. Andrea, a knight- diviner who’s been recently relocated to Atlanta, she quickly become good friend with Kate even though the two are completely opposite, personality wise. I enjoyed her presence in the book, at last, Kate isn’t only surrounded by men anymore. 

We also meet some of the members of the hyena (or bouda, as they like to call themselves) clan. I think it was a good way to introduce the pack organisation.

Just like in the previous book, I felt that Kate was too strong and knowledgeable. And just like in its predecessor, there were hints of a growing romance between Kate and Curran. I know that pretty much everybody loves the war of words between Kate and Curran, but personally it leaves me cold. I find it a bit it over the top. Whenever they speak with each other, I’m like “Do any soon-to-be lovers ever speak to each other like that in real life?

However, like everyone I'm desperately waiting for the moment they'll finally become an item. Now, all that is left to guess is in which book they’ll finally wound up with each other. Any idea? 

By the way, I'm starting to like Curran, he looked far less like an overbearing violent control freak and I liked him much more because of that. If this continues like this, he might soon become one of my favorite male protagonists in Urban Fantasy.

In the end, to me, Magic Burns was a nice, solid and entertaining book, but it was also the kind of book you could skip in a series without missing too much.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...