Pages

Wednesday 27 August 2014

I'm Officially Obssessed With Scandal!

*All the pictures and gifs in this post are courtesy of the fabulous Scandal Moments tumblr blog, and are made available under a  Creative Commons License, CC BY-NC-ND 3.0 US. By the way, if you're a Gladiator fan, check out the blog because it's AMAZING!*



I’m always one of these people who does things a thousand years after everybody else did it. That’s why while most people are waiting for the 4th season of Scandal to come out in September, I’m about to watch the third because I just finished the second season and I LOVED IT. 

I gaped like a clueless idiot, smiled like I had just smoked weed and unleashed my fangirl scream so many times during that second season that it’s a miracle my jaw isn’t dislocated yet.

Scandal gives me everything I love: political intrigues, well-rounded characters, good acting, jaw-dropping action, heart breaking suspense and steamy romance. And on top of that, it was created by the brilliant Shonda Rhimes a black woman and Olivia Pope (the heroine of the show) is interpreted by Kerri Washington who’s one of the loveliest black actresses. Scandal just gives me EVERYTHING. 

God bless Saint Shonda Rhimes I (I added the I for effect) for having created Scandal and giving hopes to every black women across the world that they can be successful in a white male dominated environment. 

Olivia Pope has a crisis management firm which aims is to protect the United States elites’ public image. She’s helped by her team of gladiators in suits, litigator Harrison Wright, Abby Whelan who’s the team detective, the tormented, psychotic but super intelligent Huck and newly recruited Quinn Perkins. At the same time, Olivia must deal with her own messy personal life and especially, her secret love affair with one of her former employer who’s no one else but The United States President Fitzgerald Grant *faints*.

Many things works against Olitz love affair, and for once, it’s not race related! As you all know politics and extra-marital relationships don’t mix well together. It works even less when one of the person involved is married and with kids and has been so since even before they met their mistress (sorry, Olivia but that’s the technical term for what you are). Yeah, because Mr Grant is married to the blue-blooded Mellie and has THREE kids with her.

Scandal is so great that it makes you love things you should resent. Seriously, it made me able to forgive a cheating partner and root for the homewrecker.  Though in truth, Olivia can’t truly be considered a homewreker, since the Grants household has been shaky (and will probably always stays so) at best for a long time. 

Long story short, Fitz may care for his wife but does not love her. He only remains in his marriage because his career would suffer if he divorced. And even though I’m sure the First Lady loves him in her own way, I doubt she would have kept around that long if her husband wasn’t the President of the United States. 

Besides, the love scenes between Olivia and Fitz contains so much emotion, so much chemistry, I just can’t help wishing they will end up together. 

Olivia is just the ultimate heroine, the degree of her awesomeness and badassness is beyond this world. People, I’m not joking. Her wardrobe is always on mark, she’s smart, she’s tough, she’s confident and she can give the most convincing speech. And you know what the best is? She’s black and beautiful! 

The thing I love most about Olivia( besides the fact that she’s the same skin colour as mine and looks like a brown china doll) is that even though she’s always wedged in this whole messy romance with the President, she always knows and does what she must like the businesswoman she is. You’ll never see her let her team or her clients down because of her love affair and that’s something I truly appreciate.

 Olivia can be caring, sweet and lovely, but she can also be cutthroat, shrewd and ruthless. Again shout out to Shonda for having created one hell of an amazing character. And thank you to whoever did the casting for having casted Kerri Washington because she perfectly embodies her alter-ego.

I’m not completely sure who my favourite character is after Olivia. I love Harrison because Colombus Short (the guy that interprets him) is hot and I love how protective he is of Olivia. Besides, he's a smart guy and I'm always fond of smart people (that's one heck of a dump sentence, but hopefully you'll forgive me). And if things don’t work out for Olitz I’m secretly rooting for Harrison to take Fitz place in Olivia’s heart. Besides, his past is intriguing. Obviously, since Harrison dies in Season 3 (I shouldn’t read episodes’ I haven’t seen recaps on blogs), my hopes for Olison have been torn apart.

Cyrus, the President chief of staff is my man. I don’t know what the show would be without him. The guy reminds me of an unstoppable bulldog and if you piss him off he’ll eat you alive, like a famished piranha (I telling you guys, he’s the loveliest). Cyrus is essentially Fitz most loyal advisor and also kind of his nanny. He’s ambitious, smart, ruthless, calculating, a serious control freak and gay (I’m not kidding). And if it wasn’t for him Fitzy’s political career would have ended eons ago. 

By the way, I don’t know why but I love him and James (his husband who works as a journalist) together. They’re like the fiercest gay couple on screen in my opinion.


Cyrus’ highlight for me was when he casually destroyed Olitz relationship in the season 2 finale because he thought being separated would be best for both of them. I adored how brutal he was (and no I’m not a masochist). But more seriously, I was 100% behind him on this. Both, Olivia and the President were in Lalaland thinking that they could be officially together and have their happy ever after ending.

I also support Mellie. Please don’t throw any tomatoes at me *hide behind my laptop screen*. 

I know Mellie is manipulative, superficial, vain, self-centered, and bla, bla, bla but as I the episodes went on, she truly grew on me. At first, I thought she was just one of these pretty but useless rich girl politicians marry because they come from well connected families. But Mellie is much more than an eye candy socialite. 

She’s very observant and is always aware of what’s happening in her surroundings. For example, she knew the nature of Fitz and Olivia’s relationship from the very beginning. Yes, she’s manipulative, superficial and love attention but she also always got her husband’s back. Fitz is charismatic, good-looking and full of good intentions, however at times he acts very carelessly.


So having a Mel watching out for him is definitely in his advantage (if only they could work as a team, instead of waging war against each other). You can reproach many things to the First Lady, but you can’t fault her for not wanting what his best for her President. 

So people, what are your predictions for Scandal? Do you think Olivia and Fitz will end up together and maybe have a mixed kid? What about Mel? I think she deserves her happy ending too. What if Olitz doesn’t happen, with who do you think Olivia will hook up with? Will Huck finally be normal? 

Personally, even though I love Scandal I doubt it’s going to go past 6 seasons. The affair can’t be dragged that long. I’d loved to be proved wrong though. In a way I really wish Olitz happen but at the same time, I can’t see Olivia having a normal life and I can’t imagine her as a First Lady. She needs her team of gladiators, she needs to help people and be all badass and awesome. I think that’s what drives her. As for Mr Grant, I doubt a normal life would suit him either.

Honestly, I don’t know how Shonda is gonna wrap all of this but I’m very eager to see what she has in store.


5 comments:

  1. Yay! My name is Olivia ^.^ I've never heard of the show Scandal but it sounds pretty cool. I am just like you, super behind in all the shows, and I have this period where all I watch are telly shows, and then it switches back to everything I watch is movies so I fall behind xD I am only just finished with season one of Supernatural lol xD I will check this out because it sounds right up my street ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good to know I'm not the only one who's always behind in all the shows, lol. I used to Watch Supernatural, I enjoyed it. I definitely recommand Scandal to you. At first I thought everybody was exagerating this show's quality, but it turns out they were right, lol. The first season is good but the second is GREAT, IMO.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw this advertised somewhere! It did look interesting, which is a surprise to me because I'm not usually interested by anything on TV. I will get round to watching it. I liked your review of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Definitely start watching Scandal! I'm sure you're going to love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not into TV at all either, but I was captivated by Scandal, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...