Pages

Wednesday 12 August 2015

The Faves!



Have there ever been characters who felt so real to you that they give you goose bump or you wish you could meet them or be friend with them? Today, I’m going to talk about the characters who give me that type of emotions. There are my favourite characters of all time. 












Paul Atreides from Dune (Dune Saga) by Frank Herbert

One thing you need to know is that I have a thing for nobility. Paul is the son of a Duke. He already had a part of me just because of that. But then as a bonus, he has everything I look forward in a hero. He’s smart, powerful, calculating, proud, flawed, and regal. I don’t think I’ve ever found a royal or even a male character I enjoyed as much as Paul. Whenever I think about him I have goose bumps. He was that great a character.


Eugenides from The Thief (The Queen’s Thief) by Megan Whallen Turner

My favourite thief! I think what I love most about Eugenides, or Gen as his friend are allowed to call him is that he’s full of surprise. In each book of the Queen’s Thief series, Gen did something that I would have never expected. He’s one of these multi-faceted character you really want to get to know. He’s can be childish, petulant, smart, strong, nerdish, kind, wise…there’s just so many aspect to his personality. I guess his pettiness and his sarcastic wit are what I enjoy most about him. 


Enzo Valentiano from The Young Elites (The Young Elites) by Mari Lu

Enzo or should I say the sexiest male in YA. I’ve never been one to get all hot and bothered by book characters until I discovered Enzo. He’s one of the most magnetic characters I had ever read about. I swear whenever he was on the page, my heartbeat started to flutter and I held my breath thinking “Warning! Burning fire!” This is a statement to Mari Lu’s ability as a writer. How can something that is all words and paper arise so much feeling? 


Maia from The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison (pseudonym of Sarah Monette)

You know that person everybody think is useless, unworthy and stupid? Well, that person is Maia. The little goblin becomes emperor at the beginning of the book and yet he’s the ultimate outsider. It was impossible not to root for Maia. He had such an endearing personality. You just want him to defeat his enemies and shut all the naysayers. It was compelling to follow this shy, awkward, ignorant and sweet young man’s adventure as the new emperor of his kingdom.











Kate Daniels from Magic Bites (Kate Daniels) by Ilona Andrews

Magic Bites was actually the first Urban Fantasy novel I had ever read. Little did I know that it would become one of my favourite series of all time and that I would love its heroine like a long lost sister. Kate is easily the most baddass urban fantasy chick ever, yet she’s surprisingly relatable. She’s one of these characters you wish were real. And she has a great sense of humour. There’s so many laugh out loud moment while reading thought her POV. Besides, she’s a fearsome warrior. Whenever I read her action scenes I felt like I’m watching a fight straight from Naruto or a similar manga.


Mackayla “Mac” Lane from Darkfever (Fever) by Karen Moning

I’ve said it in my post Kickass isn’t my cup of tea and I’ll say it here once again, I like weakness in a character, because weakness signify that there will be growth. Well, in some books characters stay the same from start to finish even though they have many flaws but ah—that’s another story. At the beginning of Darkfever, Mac is a somewhat ditzy, pink and rainbow loving fashionista whose sole ambition is to have as much fun as possible and tan under a bright sun. I still loved her then, she wasn’t your typical leading heroine but it was easy to identify with her because she felt like a regular twenty-something girl you could have met in real life. I have to admit that she wasn’t really hero material. But by the end, Mac is a warrior who can handle important responsabilities and still recognize good clothing. If that isn’t growth, then I don’t know what growth is. The fact that she matures throughout the story isn’t the only reason I ship Mac so much. I really, really love her personality. If she was real, Mac would have made a great girl-friend.


Rose Hathaway from Vampire Academy (Vampire Academy) by Richelle Mead

Kickass, brash, arrogant, loyal, outspoken, witty, funny, sexy, what not to love about Rose? Besides, like Mac she would make an amazing friend if she was real. Also, similarly to Mac, she greatly mature throughout the series. I think, one of the reason I loved Rose so much is because she was one of the first YA heroine I encountered who was comfortable with her own skin and outgoing. Before that, my main references in YA were all shy, unconfident, fragile flowers with special powers.


Evanjelin from Finnikin of the Rock (Lumatere Chronicles) by Melina Marchetta

It’s impossible not to be impressed by Evanjeline’s willpower. The girl has gone and goes through so much yet she never gives up. She’s ready to do anything to achieve her goals even if it means hurting herself or the people she cares about. She isn’t an horrible person though. The interesting thing about her is that she’s extremely ruthless and at the same time very kind. It’s not the easiest of combo to manage, but Marchesa was able to make it work. Furthermore, I love how despite the challenges and hurdles she face on a daily basis, she’s still able to focus on her long-term goals.


Tell me, who are YOUR favorite characters? Why? By the way, all the characters I listed come from amazing books, so don't hesitate to check them out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...