Pages

Sunday 9 October 2016

Kate Daniels #9: Magic Binds by Ilona Andrews

Goodreads Summary: Mercenary Kate Daniels knows all too well that magic in post-Shift Atlanta is a dangerous business. But nothing she’s faced could have prepared her for this…

Kate and the former Beast Lord Curran Lennart are finally making their relationship official. But there are steep obstacles standing in the way of their walk to the altar...

Kate's father, Roland, has kidnapped the demigod Saiman and is slowly bleeding him dry in his never-ending bid for power. A Witch Oracle has predicted that if Kate marries the man she loves, Atlanta will burn and she will lose him forever. And the only person Kate can ask for help is long dead. 

The odds are impossible. The future is grim. But Kate Daniels has never been one to play by the rules...
Published: September 20th by Ace
Genre:  Urban Fantasy 


-MY THOUGHTS-


Sooooooooooooo, in case you were wondering, yes, I'M STILL ALIVE! This is my first real post in a bit more than a year. What kept me away? If I wanted to sound serious and level-headed I would say that my absence was caused by yet another tumultuous but satisfying uni year. If I were honest, I would admit that I have been laaaaaaaaaaa-aaaaaa-zy *gather breath*. But who cares? I’m back! And I think it is only fitting that I review lastest release inthe Kate Daniels series which by now you should know is one of my favourite series ever as my homecoming post. 

In this one, the situation is bad, hell what am I saying it is DIRE. Kate’s main goal in life has always been to defeat her evil father Roland. Problem is, she can’t because she's simply not powerful enough AND she knows it. Thanks to a few seers, she also knows that it is not only her life that is in danger but the one of her loved one. BUUUUUT our Kate is a fighter, despite these foreboding vision, she has no intention to flee or even give up. The book resolve around her trying to find a way to turn a bleak future into a hopeful one. 

Oh boy, oh boy! This book what can I say? Ilona Andrews DID IT AGAIN! This book had more than 300 pages but I breezed throught it. It was THAT compelling. And that ending! I kind of expected it, but it still killed. By the end of Magic Binds I was a mix between THIS







           AND THIS 

That is how much I loved Magic Binds.



I got teary a few times. There’s one scene in particular that made me drown in feels. I want to talk about it but I don’t know if I can because I’m not sure whether it would fall into the spoiler folder or not. Oh, to talk or not to talk? What a dilemma. Oh well, it's my blog, isn't it? *take a deep breath* Andrea has her baby! Those who haven’t started the series obviously won’t get what I’m talking about. And this is why you need to read get on the Kate Daniel bandwagon. But those who read up until book 8, please rejoice with me!




This scene was so sweet and emotional and cute and lovely and…Oh you know what I mean!

Obviously, everything isn't pink  in Magic Binds. The reader encounter a darker side of Kate. I won't go into too much detail, but let's just say that I got scared a few time. Naturally, it affects her relationship with her family and friends. It was an interesting development to the series. I do wonder how it will play out in her upcoming adventures.

As in previous book, Roland captivated me. He’s evil full stop. It's an undeniable fact. It’s also impossible to deny the fact that he does love his daughter and wants the best for her. It’s just that he happen to have an insatiable thirst for power too and would destroy anyone who stood in his way, bar his daughter (obviously). Everybody is allowed to have flaws, right?




I can’t decide if I want him to die in horrible pain or hug him for his awesomeness. Ugh, decision, decision.

Perhaps I’m too nitpicky, but even though I really enjoyed Magic Binds. There is a little je-ne-sais-quoi that didn’t quite work for me. I wish the story was more grounded in reality. Of course, it may seem a silly notion, since this is fantasy, but it was still a (tiny) issue for me. Sometimes, the interaction between the characters, especially between Kate and her friends or even Curran felt a little too good, too pristine. There lacked an edge, a rawness. Something that would make me feel “oh this feel so real”.  

In any case, I thoughtfully enjoyed Magic Binds and couldn’t recommend enough the Kate Daniel series. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...